A Treasure Island Gem in Queensland, Australia
Presented by Gold Coast Sotheby’s Worldwide Realty
For a lot more info go to: http://ow.ly/TX4Vd
A treasure island gem, the pinnacle of bespoke luxury, ‘Villa Blue Waters’ stand as 1 of Australia’s most desirable landmark properties set in the exclusive suburb of The Sovereign Islands, Gold Coast.
House ID: E7WVNE
More info: http://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/movies?wm_video_id=jff18eb621d4uge
Milang. Photograph from the Milang railway station museum of Landseers huge warehouses in the course of the river boat trading days of the 19th century in Milang. Now all these buildings are gone.
Milang and the Murray River Boat Trade.
In 1853 the governor of SA supplied a reward of £4,000 to the initial river steam boat to navigate the Murray to Wentworth and past. Captain Francis Cadell working with William Younghusband, a close good friend of the governor received the prize even though Captain William Randell of Mannum reached Wentworth in his steam boat at the identical time. Cadell had named his boat right after the wife of the Governor, the Lady Augusta and the Governor and a modest celebration travelled on Captain Cadell’s boat. After this financial improve Cadell went on to establish the River Murray Navigation Business based in Goolwa. Randell established his own shipping line based mostly in Mannum. The river trade started in earnest in 1854. The prize was intercolonial transportation of goods into western NSW and southern Qld by means of the Darling River from Wentworth. In the 1850s there was almost no settlement in SA along the river so the income to be manufactured was in NSW and the upper reaches of the Murray in Victoria. Randell transported flour to Echuca, for instance, for overland transport from Echuca to the goldfields at Bendigo. The early river steamers and barges were produced along the Murray and the lakes, usually at Goolwa or Mannum or in Milang. Wool was the staple solution shipped down the river from NSW and the return journeys took up flour, sugar, tea, pianos, furnishings, engines or whatever outback stations required. Customs duties have been due at the SA/NSW/Vic border and the Qld border. Milang established a niche function for itself in the riverboat trade it manufactured steamers and barges, presented captains and skilled navigators and dealt with the bulk of supplies going up to NSW as Milang was the closest and best river port to Adelaide. Duranda Terrace in Milang dealt with 50 to 60% of all SA exports up the river. Merchants flourished here and Landseers established a big wool managing and warehousing company with offices in Morgan, Murray Bridge, Goolwa, Wentworth, Wilcannia and Mildura. But their headquarters were in Milang.
Albert Landseer the business founder was born in England in 1829 and was a cousin to the popular British landscape painter of the very same surname. Albert studied sculpture himself but gave it up to immigrate to SA. He grew to become the agent for Captain Cadell of Goolwa in 1856 and from that contract he expanded his enterprise all along the river. He had 10 young children with his 1st wife and 6 with his second. He controlled nearly all the trade by way of Milang and was recognized as the “Duke of Milang.” His company partner who contributed fiscal assistance was William Dunk. Albert Landseer died in 1906 as the river trade was commencing to decrease. Landseer contributed to the district by becoming a member of parliament and was a common local determine. Alas his 4 storey stone flour mill and three storey warehouse in Duranda Terrace had been both demolished a lengthy time in the past. (His remarkable wool keep in Morgan even now stands.) Landseer’s flour mill operated from close to 1870 to 1890 replacing the Pavy flour mill that was established in Milang in the 1850s to supply flour for the riverboat trade. The heyday of the riverboat trade was in the 19th century. Just before any railways reached western NSW almost all trade was carried on the river through SA. Railways reached western NSW and upper Victoria in the 1880s. But the river trade persisted as so several stations had been located appropriate on the banks of the Darling River and so river transport was the easiest and most affordable appropriate into the middle 1920s. The initial jetty was constructed in Milang in 1856 to get the river trade going. It was enhanced in length in 1859 and once again in 1869 right up until it was 217 metres (711 feet) prolonged. A tram track took cargo to the end of the jetty. The great Murray flood of 1956 saw half the jetty washed away.
Although significantly of the river boat trade died away in the 1920s some providers continued, specially the local steamer service across Lake Alexandrina. As soon as the railway from Adelaide reached Milang in 1884 a service was started to connect with the trains to consider passenger and freight across the lakes to Poltalloch station, Meningie and from there overland via the Coorong to the South East and Melbourne. The paddle steamer Dispatch plied this route from 1877 in between Milang and Meningie. After 1884 other vessels had been also used on this route. Trade declined substantially in Milang itself soon after 1878 when the SA railway reached Morgan. It then became the main river port, rather than Milang.
Due to the fact of the river trade Milang had a thriving boat developing market. George Ross established engineering performs in Milang and then branched out into boats. Ross’ main competitor was Frank Potts of Langhorne Creek who constructed his boats in Milang too. Potts constructed many of the boats utilized by Landseer’s business. The last boat developed for Landseer was the Marion in 1897. This is the paddle steamer now in the Museum at Mannum. Yet another effectively acknowledged boat builder in Milang was C.H.F. Kruse. The register of steamers developed in Milang lists:
1872 The Ponkaree.
1873Landseer’s floating dry dock was created and then later sold on to William Randell at Mannum in 1876.
1876The Annie and the Bourke.
1877The Avoca and the Dispatch.
1878The Milang, the Elsie, the John Hart and the Victor.
1880The Mary Ann (2nd steamer of this title).
1891The Ada and Clara. (This was financed by the Bowmans for the lake crossing to Poltalloch Station.)
1892The Advance and the Retreat.
1897The Agnostic, the Marion and the Tarella.
1898The Etona (utilized by the Anglican Church for services along the Murray from Murray Bridge to Renmark.)
1911The Elsie (2nd steamer of this name).
Even though the river trade was starting to die off in the early 20th century in 1902 the lock program was agreed upon by the states. It was primarily built to offer a continual river degree totally free from snags in the Murray. The locks have been also to manage river flows in times of drought and keep the Murray navigable. The 1st Murray River lock was commenced in 1915 and completed at Blanchetown in 1922. It took another twenty many years for the remaining 25 locks along the river to Albury to be finished. The ultimate stage of this project truly was the development of the five barrages to stop salt water from coming into the lakes and Murray River. They were completed in 1940.
A Short History of Milang.
The settlers of Strathalbyn were anxious to have a port near their town especially right after the Wheal Ellen mine began operations in 1857. In August 1853 Captains Cadell and Randell had proved the viability of river trade. In light of this the Surveyor Basic Arthur Freeling ordered a township to be laid out on the shores of Lake Alexandrina close to in which the Bremer and Angas rivers enter the lake. A web site was selected on substantial ground away from both river mouths. Milang was laid out by January 1854. The town had a grid pattern, like Adelaide surrounded by parklands on 3 sides and the lake on the other. Blocks should have offered quickly as in 1857 a private growth was laid out beyond the parklands by Dr Rankine of Strathalbyn. The town title was selected from a nearby Aboriginal word “Millangk” which meant place of sorcery and magic. Some may possibly argue that Milang is nonetheless a magical area!
Amongst the purchasers of the 1st town tons, as was to be the case in Langhorne Creek also, were the elite of Strathalbyn- the Gollans, Stirlings, Dawsons and so on. Other pioneers of Milang were the Landseer household and G Chalken. Chalken owned the Lake Hotel, established in 1856 in a side street. The Pier Hotel dealing with the lake was developed in 1857 and nevertheless stands. Landseer soon opened a general store and Submit Office. He purchased machinery from the unique Pavy flour mill and built a new 1 in 1871. All around this time he also erected a large wool store and other warehouses along Duranda Terrace producing him the principal businessman in town. Milang blossomed overnight on the expectation of productive river trading. A South Australian Register newspaper report in 1857 described the new town thus: “Milang is becoming a really bustling tiny port and will shortly expand into a place of value. Presently it has two inns, a steam mill, a retailer of some extent, a chapel in the course of erection, a timber yard and a jetty on which there have been lying on Tuesday the Symmetry twenty five tons, the Blue Jacket 5 tons and the Enterprise eight tons. There are now about one hundred and ten souls in the township and several hundred settlers within a radius of two or three miles. Cultivation is progressing extensively and wheat and flour are constantly shipped, and also silver and lead from Strathalbyn and the Wheal Ellen mines.” Alas Milang is no longer a bustling port or town!
As with most other towns the 1st public structures have been the two hotels and the early school room in 1856. This goal developed school is still in use. The very first church erected was the Church of Christ in Coxe Street in 1857. This church was enlarged in 1899 and once more in 1901. By 1866 Milang had two further churches the Primitive Methodist erected in 1866 in Chapel Street and the Congregational Church erected in 1862 in Stephenson Street. The Congregational Church originally had a thatched roof and it is now the Uniting Church. The Anglican Church was not built until finally 1911 and its completion was financially assisted by the Dunk family members. Ahead of then Anglican providers have been conducted in the Institute creating. Mrs Landseer laid the basis stone of the Institute in January 1884. James Rankine of Strathalbyn opened the Institute later that 12 months. By 1890 it was free of debt and in 1917 additional additions were manufactured to it. A District Council was formed in Milang in 1855 and the 1st meetings were held in nearby Belvedere. A police station opened in Milang in 1865 but Milang started to slide backwards shortly soon after that. The tramway to Strathalbyn in 1869 bypassed Milang regardless of pleas for it to travel via Milang. Nonetheless they did get a rail line in 1884 to link with the Adelaide line at Sandergrove. In 1893 a butter factory opened in Milang, the Lakeside Butter Factory which exported regional butter to England. It closed in 1915. It re-opened some time later and was nevertheless operating in the 1930s. The infamous shacks along the lake foreshore have been created all around 1948. The Milang Progress Association managed the location till the local Council resumed management in 1967. In spite of government threats to their existence the shack owners have had many reprieves and they are nonetheless there.
1. Site of the former Landseer’s Standard Store, flour mill and warehouse and wool shop. Now a row of outlets.
two. Pier Hotel dating from 1857. Limestone, brick quoins, diagonal front door. Note the memorial to Captain Charles Sturt opposite the hotel.
3. Milang Butter factory. Note curved factory roof. Began as Lakeside Butter around 1894. Closed for a short time around 1904. Then operated through to mid 1930s lastly by SA Farmers Union. Milk was delivered from Meningie by lake steamer.
four. Headmaster’s Residence. This villa houses created around 1900 is in common Training Department fashion. Turn left into Rivers Street.
five. Main School. The very first college area was created 1856. Significantly of the nevertheless standing old school was finished in 1865. It has a higher gable, single window in the gable and a door on the side with yet another single window. It is the oldest goal created college area nonetheless being employed in SA for its original function. The rest is far more contemporary.
6. Outdated Bake Residence. This single storey shop has been converted into salt-box fashion residence called the Rookery. The property was erected in the mid 1850s and the 2nd storey was extra in 1868. Outlets have been then added every end of the home in 1870. The home is restored. Note the small windows to the street in common 1850s type. Produced of limestone with render and whitewash it has a skillion roof. The very first Church of Christ solutions had been held right here just before the church opened in 1857.
7. Ted Burgess Butcher’s shop. Diagonally opposite Robert’s Basic Keep the former store is now a residence. Note the massive store type window to the street and the eye-catching concave veranda. The store was developed all around 1870 and was for many many years a butcher shop. Butchery ceased right here in 1947.
8. Robert’s Corner Store. Originally this shop had a shingle roof with diagonal shop doors and a minimal roof line. It closed as a basic keep in 1988! When you walk previous it you may possibly be in a position to see the Robert’s Basic retailer signal in the back yard. When it closed in 1988 it still had some stock that was in excess of 60 many years old. Was it previous the employed by date? The Roberts family members operated the store from 1905 to 1988.This is a actual mid 1850s constructing.
9. Previous Lake Hotel. This hotel was licensed in 1856. It is fairly extraordinary and has decorative corbels in cement which had been utilized to support the roof. Note the metal air vents. It has a stripped painted veranda roof. It has several utilizes since it closed as a hotel many many years in the past. Note the old stables at the rear.
ten. Milang Post Workplace. Postal companies began in 1867 from Landseer’s shop. The Post Office which seems like a residence opened in 1880. The gable end has a single window. It is across Luard Street in what was as soon as parklands.
eleven. Milang Police Station. A cottage police station was opened in 1866. The fine station we can see today was built in 1874. It has a central gable and a single room breaks the front veranda. Note the decorative barge boards. It is manufactured of regional limestone with brick quoins.
twelve. Milang Institute. This was opened in 1884 by James Rankine. The remarkable façade has very good symmetry. The somewhat rounded windows have semi-circular windows over them and a huge round air vent in the best triangular pediment. In the 19th century every person was concerned about ventilation whilst sporting all people skirts and jackets and ties. The creating has very good proportions, limestone walls and cement quoins. Note the beautiful urns on the corners of the creating. The outdoors stair case and library space had been added in the 1920s and the present day supper space was added in 1962.
13. Dunk loved ones house. Flip left in Ameroo Avenue beside the Soldiers Memorial Park. If you search at the back of the house on the opposite corner you can see the unique Dunk household 1850s cottage which had the greater Dunk residence extra in Ameroo Avenue. The front residence dates from the 1880s by its style. The Dunks contributed to the Anglican Church which is more up Luard Street in direction of Adelaide. That church was opened in 1911. Carry on walking down Ameroo Avenue in direction of the lake. But if you want to walk more to the west along Coxe Street behind the Dunk property you will locate the Church of Christ which was the very first church opened in Milang in 1857.
14. Old Railway Station. Unusually for SA Milang received a wooden station. The rail services ended in 1968. The museum here is staffed by volunteers. Allow ten -twenty minutes to go to it.
Albert Landseer’s grave is here dated 1906. Adjacent plots consist of his first wife, 1871, and his second wife and some young children. Up coming to Landseer is the Dunk family plots. They organization partners of Landseers. Close by is the Chalken family members, the authentic owners of the Pier Hotel. A typical symbol for riverboat captains is an anchor on their headstones. This kind of graves contain Captain Thomas Jones who died in 1879 Captain Dan Cremer who died in 1942 and Captain George Jeffrey Wallace who died in 1906.
The pastoralists moved into the effectively watered places along the Bremer River early in the 1840s. The locality was named after two adventurers of the 1840s who had driven a flock of sheep to SA from NSW in 1841 for a nearby pastoralist. They have been Alfred and Henry Langhorne and the district took their name. Pastoralism ended early here with the declaration of the Hundreds of Bremer and of Finniss in 1851.This meant that some of the land had been surveyed and was prepared for sale to farmers for £1 per acre. The initial individual to get land along the Bremer right here was Frank Potts. Potts was born in 1815, arrived in SA in 1836 and obtained his land around 1851. He went on to establish vines here and his winery was one particular of the first established in SA. The rich alluvial soil washed down by the yearly floods of the Bremer River had been exceptional for vine cultivation. He named his winery Bleasdale Winery which is nevertheless working and houses the historic wine press. The press was employed from 1892 until finally 1962 and it is 43 feet extended and 23 feet high! From its earliest days the winery has specialised in Cabernet Sauvignon and Shiraz grapes. Frank Potts also created income from constructing boats at Milang for the river trade. His boats included the Beltana (1873), the Wilcannia (1875), the Bourke (1876), the Dispatch (1877) and the Milang (1878). His boat names indicate they have been utilised for the wool trade up the Murray-Darling to Wilcannia, Bourke and beyond.
When the Langhorne Creek lands had been provided for sale most of the early purchasers were land speculators from Adelaide or prominent landholders from nearby Strathalbyn. The Strathalbyn land occupiers which includes the McLeans, the Rankines of Glen Barr estate, Sir Edward Stirling of the Lodge mansion and other locals this kind of as Sir William Milne( married into the Stirlings ) Bairds, Bayers, Hills, Greens and Borretts. John Borrett was 1 of the first to begin farming right here on his house called Raydon Farm. It was the land agent speculator George Green who laid out the private township of Langhorne Creek in 1854 but the hotel at Langhorne Creek was licensed and opened in 1850 with James Baird as publican. The hotel was used by the Gold Escort troopers going to the Victorian goldfields via the established Wellington ferry. Most town blocks were not offered until finally 1857 but by the 1860s the township had a school (1861), a Primitive Methodist Church (1867), saddlery, a basic keep and Publish Workplace. In 1892 a single optimistic fellow, Charles Grey opened a brewery here as it had a excellent supply of higher high quality water. The brewery did not last for long and seems to have closed about 1895. The town companies did properly from Sunday visitors and picnickers from Strathalbyn and long distance travellers heading to Wellington and the ferry across the Murray. Langhorne’s Creek was changed to Langhorne Creek in 1941 when the state government removed punctuation from all town and location names. Some buildings to appear out for in Langhorne Creek:
•The Langhorne Creek Hotel on the banks of the Bremer River. Within it has a very good assortment of historic photographs. Dates from 1850.
•The Soldiers Memorial Hall (for Globe War One) opened in 1934. Note it is the Langhorne’s Creek Hall.
•Langhorne Creek store. On the southern finish is the outdated Submit Office. It was operating well just before 1870.The Post Workplace end has common 1860s multi-paned design widows employed in stores or offices.
•Old stables and coaching house. Up coming to the Basic Keep. Great limestone buildings with brick quoins. Langhorne Creek was a coaching staging spot for a adjust of horses on journeys to Wellington and past.
•Old college developing. This was erected in 1861 prolonged before colleges have been state government responsibilities. Note the Georgian type several paned windows. An earlier schoolroom operated from 1855.
•St. John’s Anglican Church and tower. Opened by Sir Lancelot Stirling in 1929.
•On the other side of the street is the previous hall with the galvanised projection booth for movies. It was the Oddfellows Hall created in 1870. Employed as the town local community hall until finally the building of the 1934 Memorial Hall. Projection box added for movies in the 1930s. Note the fine information close to the windows.
The Langhorne Creek district only receives 375 mm (15 inches) of rain but its proximity to the lakes mitigates this minimal figure. Summertime breezes have large humidity decreasing the temperatures. Frequent flooding deposits new silt, with high moisture holding capacity. Simply because of the regular flooding and humidity, supplementary summer irrigation is usually not needed. But Langhorne Creek has its personal privately funded irrigation scheme. The scheme started in 1996 when in excess of forty neighborhood farmers made a decision to contribute to it. Water is raised 27 metres above the level of the lake and pumped up to 17 kms away to 52 participants of the scheme. The availability of water for irrigation has noticed the wine area expand greatly. There are now six other wineries apart from the Bleasdale winery in the district. After the implementation of the irrigation scheme grape tonnage rose from 10,000 tons a 12 months to 51,000 tons in just a couple of many years. It has been expanding ever considering that. Langhorne Creek is now the third largest wine grape increasing region of SA. Almost 90% of the wine created is red wine. The district has also expanded the plantings of Verdelho vines in current many years also. And the area also creates the SA Newman’s horse radish.
By denisbin on 2009-04-05 15:35:11
If you venture into the Erb and King Street region of Waterloo you will be treading on hallowed ground. This crossroads is in which Waterloo began, very first as a village from which has sprung the present day city you see today.
In 1857, there have been about 500 people, primarily German Mennonites who trekked here from Pennsylvania. These sturdy folk put their hearts and souls into creating this thriving commercial and industrial hub. Just before lengthy there was a submit office, fire hall, library, and factories, and a council chamber.
Given that fire was this kind of a risk to all buildings in individuals days, the Waterloo Mutual Fire Insurance coverage Co. was established in 1863. This was the first mutual fire insurance firm in Canada, and as the many years went by much more firms followed. Today Waterloo is referred to as “the Hartford of Canada”.
Along with the industrial buildings came wonderful private residences, lovingly constructed by the early movers and shakers of this thriving town. A scant twenty many years later, February ten, 1876, it officially grew to become a town, with a mayor named Moses Springer.
Why not take a walk and see for your self some of these early properties. One particular you will not want to miss is the Erb-Kumpf Residence which has parts dating back to 1812. City founder, Abraham Erb and his family first lived right here. It is an superb example of Georgian, Gothic, Doric and Regency designs.
The McLaughlin Property, which was developed in 1867, is a beautiful frame home. Not only that, it is a rarity because numerous frame houses went up in smoke in those early many years. It was much more wise to choose bricks, and in time fire laws dictated that they be employed solely.
Italianate features can be noticed on the Kuntz-Labatt Residence that dates from the mid 1880s. With its rather verandahs you can almost picture the Kuntz kids frolicking about. This household had been owners of a brewery that grew and grew and later on was offered to Carling. Today it is element of the Erb and Excellent Funeral Home.
The Waterloo Potters’ Workshop utilizes the handsome Eby farmhouse right now. It is a white frame house with dark green trim and is situated in what was after named West Side Park.
Yet another home with Italianate characteristics is the Bean-Wright residence constructed by town councillor Theodore Bellinger in 1882. It boasts a frieze board with brackets, a double front door, and a bay window. David Bean, proprietor of the Waterloo Chronicle was a later owner of this fine home.
The Snyder-Seagram residence, built in 1903, was residence to Herbert Snyder who owned Snyder Brother’s Furnishings. It is very unusual simply because it is constructed of poured concrete. Later on it was provided to J.E. Seagram by his grandfather Joseph Seagram as a wedding present.
The Bahnsen-Bierstock-Marsland home is 1 of the newest older homes, getting been developed in 1924 by John Bahnsen who managed the Globe Furnishings Co. At one particular time Globe Furnishings was a leader in the furnishings industry. The residence is now owned by the Marsland family.
If you are relocating to Kitchener-Waterloo be positive to commence your search for a new property by visiting the most existing Kitchener-Waterloo Homes. You will locate that property charges in the Waterloo Region are significantly reduced than comparable houses in the Toronto area.