【HK Walk Tour】Central and Western Heritage Trail – The Sheung Wan Route (Full Version)
【HK Walk Tour】Central and Western Heritage Trail – The Sheung Wan Route (Complete Version)
Official Internet site:
:00:52 – 01 – Original Web site of the Central Fire Station
:01:53 – 02 – Central Industry
:07:28 – 03 – Pottinger Street (Stone Slab Street)
:15:24 – 04 – Original Web site of the Xing Zhong Hui (Revive China Society) Hong Kong Headquarters
:21:59 – 05 – Jamia Mosque
:33:13 – 06 – Ohel Leah Synagogue
:39:04 – 07 – London Mission Constructing
:55:20 – 08 – Kom Tong Hall (Dr Sun Yat-sen Museum)
1:04:57 – 09 – Original Internet site of the Daoji Mission Property
1:06:01 – 10 – Original Website of the Alice Memorial Hospital and Hong Kong College of Medicine
1:08:57 – 11 – Original Site of the Furen Wenshe (Literary Society for the Promotion of Benevolence)
1:ten:29 – 12 – Original Web site of the School exactly where Yeung Ku-wan was Murdered
1:12:29 – 13 – Original Site of Yang Yao Ji – meeting place for “The Four Desperados”
1:14:29 – 14 – Commemorative Plaque for Dr James Legge
1:14:11 – 15 – Original Web site of Central College
1:22:07 – 16 – Original Web site of Queen’s College
1:18:17 – 17 – Original Site of the American Congregational Mission Preaching Property
1:28:06 – 18 – Man Mo Temple
1:31:41 – 19 – Chinese Young Men’s Christian Association of Hong Kong (Chinese YMCA)
1:36:42 – 20 – Old Pathological Institute (Hong Kong Museum of Health-related Sciences)
:48:14 – 21 – Original Internet site of the Police Officers’ Quarters-Caine Road
:46:44 – 22 – Hop Yat Church
1:39:11 – 23 – Original Site of Tong Meng Hui Reception Centre
1:40:50 – 24 – Commemorative Plaque for the Outbreak of the Bubonic Plague in 1894
1:44:23 – 25 – Kwong Fook I Tsz
1:44:46 – 26 – Tai Ping Shan Street
1:45:55 – 27 – Tung Wah Hospital
1:47:06 – 28 – Hollywood Road
1:48:00 – 29 – Original Site of the Possession Point (Shui Hang Hau)
1:49:33 – 30 – Original Web site of the Tai Tat Tei
1:51:44 – 31 – Original Internet site of Ko Shing Theatre
1:56:17 – 32 – Bonham Strand
1:59:37 – 33 – Original Site of the Nam Pak Hong Union
2:00:39 – 34 – Original Web site of the Western Industry (South Block) (Sheung Wan Complicated)
two:03:49 – 35 – Western Marketplace (North Block)
IM IN YR NATIONAL BOTANIC GARDEN, BOTANNIKIN YR NATIONAL GARDIN
Posted by means of e-mail to ☛ HoloChromaCinePhotoRamaScope‽: cdevers.posterous.com/im-in-yr-national-botanic-garden-bo…. See the complete gallery on Posterous …
Quoting from Wikipedia | United States Botanic Garden:
The Botanic Garden is supervised by the Congress by way of the Architect of the Capitol, who is accountable for preserving the grounds of the United States Capitol. The USBG is open every single day of the year, including federal holidays. It is the oldest continually operating botanic garden in the United States.
The Columbian Institute for the Promotion of Arts and Sciences in Washington, D.C., first recommended the creation of the Botanic Garden in 1816. The concept of establishing a botanic garden in Washington, D.C., was also supported by the Washington Botanical Society, organized in 1817, many of whose members had been also members of the Columbian Institute, even so this society disbanded in 1826.
In 1820, President James Monroe set aside 5 acres (20,000 m2) for a "national greenhouse." Dr. Edward Cutbush, founder and initial president of the Columbian Institute, was 1 of the earliest crusaders for a plant repository and saw the necessity for a botanical garden "where various seeds and plants could be cultivated, and, as they multiplied, distributed to other parts of the Union."
The tract, which was swamp land,[six] was situated next to the Smithsonian Museum and a mere eighty feet from the methods of the Capitol. The land was situated in between First and Third streets and Pennsylvania and Maryland avenues on the east side of the Capitol building.[eight] It was originally owned by David Burnes, the Scots farmer who owned significantly of the internet site of the city of Washington. He had been warned in 1796 that if he chose to plant crops "on the avenue and the Mall", it was at his own threat as anything may be completed "almost any time" to make a thoroughfare.
It is probable that Thomas Jefferson was the 1st influential particular person who took an interest in cleaning up the brush that covered the land. By 1810, some rows of Lombardy poplars had been planted, nonetheless, the avenue itself "was as well significantly of a morass" to be traversed on horseback.
Botanic Garden of the Columbian Institute
One of the greatest accomplishments of the institution was the creation of a botanic garden in 1821. "By the finish of 1823 the swampy tract of land granted by Congress had been drained and leveled, an elliptical pond with an island at its center constructed, and four graveled walks laid out. Trees and shrubs had been planted, and the garden was maintained as properly as scanty funds would permit till the institute expired in 1837, one year just before the termination of its charter."
On Could 26, 1824, the grounds have been extended and in 1825, they were enclosed. "There seems to be no record of what improvements or plantings were created by the Columbian Institute. The institute had expended $1,500 on the grounds for walks and plantings and had asked Congress to be reimbursed, but this request was not granted."
Although the membership roster of the Columbian Institution integrated numerous distinguished citizens and numerous presidents, they had been unable to raise funds for the greenhouse and lecture hall. Meetings were held in a variety of short-term offices, which includes a committee space in the capitol developing that Congress granted use of on December 20, 1828.
In spite of all the hardships, the Institute quickly launched an enthusiastic work to collect plants and seeds.[ten] In 1826, a committee was appointed to meet with heads of government departments to help solicit "all subjects of all-natural history that might be deemed fascinating" from foreign representatives. The following year, Secretary of the Treasury, Richard Rush was also involved in the solicitation by circulating a letter to foreign dignitaries."[ten] In the letter he stated that President John Quincy Adams was "desirous of causing to be introduced into the United States all such trees and plants from other countries not heretofore recognized in the United States, as may possibly give promise, beneath appropriate cultivation, of flourishing and becoming helpful…."[ten]
The publicity was extremely effective. Plants and seeds created their way to the Institute from as far away as China and Brazil. Some came from regions nearby, such as Montgomery County in Maryland. In 1824, a List of Plants in the Botanic Garden of the Columbian Institute was ready by William Elliot.[ten] The pamphlet mentioned far more than 458 plants expanding at that time.
Sixteen years passed and by 1836, no additional improvements had been made on the home. "The tract was a stagnant and malarial swamp and Congress was prevailed upon to make an appropriation of $5,000 for improvements." The funds were used to drain the web site and erect a fountain.
Monetary woes continued to plague the Institute, and there was "never sufficient money from contributions for suitable maintenance of the garden and plant collections." The facility ceased to operate in 1837 when the society stopped holding meetings. However it was re-instituted in 1842 when the Wilkes expedition of the South Seas brought back a collection of plants.
Wilkes exploring and surveying expedition
In 1838, Lt. Charles Wilkes set out on the United States Exploring Expedition commissioned by Congress to circumnavigate the globe and discover the Pacific Ocean.[ten] Among the years 1838–1842, the expedition, consisting of six government ships, traveled 87,000 miles and collected a big assortment of horticultural and botanical specimens. These formed the nucleus of the present garden. The expedition also confirmed that Antarctica was a continent.[five]
The staff incorporated a botanist, W. D. Breckenridge who brought back a huge collection of specimens, such as seeds and cuttings.
Since the garden was situated in a swamp, early attempts at cultivation had been not successful, nonetheless, throughout 1842 a revival was created after the Wilkes Expedition brought a lot of rare plants to Washington from the Fiji, Sandwich and Society Islands, New Zealand and South America.
Throughout this trip, Wilkes collected reside and dried specimens of plants and was 1 of the 1st to use wardian instances to sustain live plants on lengthy voyages. Members of the expedition returned with a enormous collection of plants previously unknown in the United States.
The live Wilkes specimens and seeds "were transferred successively to frames in 1844 and to the Old Patent Workplace greenhouse, the 1st developing on the website, where they remained until 1850.[six] At that time, a botanic garden was constructed to property the collection in front of the Capitol, exactly where the reflecting pool is now located. They were moved once again in 1934.[six]
U.S. Botanic Garden
The very tract of land the Botanical Garden of the Columbian Institute occupied, became the internet site of the United States Botanic Garden, established in 1850, thirteen years right after the demise of the institute.
In 1867, Congress supplied cash for the construction of the very first greenhouses. The main conservatory creating was erected, 30 feet long with a dome 60 feet high.
A number of historic trees stood on the web site like the Crittenden Oak which marks the spot exactly where John J. Crittenden created an address in an effort to avert the Civil War. Also, the Beck-Washington Elm was a scion of an elm earlier planted by Washington himself. A plane tree which Thaddeus Stevens brought from the Vale of Cashmere, a sycamore planted by Senator Daniel Voorhees and a Chinese oak from the grave of Confucius, two cedars of Lebanon, and several others that have historic associations.
The Bartholdl Fountain, the work of Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi, the same sculptor who made the Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor stood in a central site in the gardens, nonetheless, it was placed in storage for several years to make way for the memorial to General Meade, the hero of Gettysburg.
The garden "was formally placed under the jurisdiction of the Joint Committee on the Library of Congress in 1856 and has been administered by means of the Workplace of the Architect of the Capitol considering that 1934. The Architect of the Capitol has served as Acting Director of the United States Botanic Garden and is accountable for the upkeep and operation of the Garden and for any construction, modifications, or improvements created."
Talk of expansion and move
A discussion about moving the garden began in Congress in August, 1922. "It seems probably that the public attributes of the present garden will be transferred from the west side of the Capitol to the north side and that a new botanic garden and arboretum on an adequate scale will be established not far from the Capitol."
The internet site of the original garden was fewer than 13 acres (53,000 m2), in comparison to the popular Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew in London, which had 288 acres (1.17 km2). The garden in Berlin, Germany, has more than 1,325 acres (five.36 km2) and was established at a expense of more than $four,000,000. In comparison, $1,416,748 was spent on the garden in Washington between the years 1842–1922. This integrated the original appropriation for the Wilkes expedition.
Senate resolution 165 was passed and a committee was formed to evaluation the acquisition of a new internet site. Lieut. Col. Clarence O. Sherrill, Corps of Engineers, secretary and executive officer of the fine arts commission, compiled a report on the garden.
It was felt that the botanic garden have to be removed since when Congress established the place of the Grant Memorial in the garden-area, technically, it forced the garden out. "Such was the intention of Congress."
The action was entirely logical. That space was developed by President George Washington and Maj. Pierre Charles L’Enfant as an open strategy to the Capitol, which is shown on the original program to the city. "It was proposed at that time that this area should be subject to ornamentation with memorials, foundations, and the like, but not shut off by walls and fences. Locating the Botanic Garden in this area was one particular of those severe errors created in the early part of the century whereby the fantastic plan for the Nation’s Capital suffered damage that has continued to this day."
Sherrill’s report pointed out that the purpose of Congress was to restore the Mall to its original status as a park connection in between the legislative and executive departments. Congress had paid the Pennsylvania Railroad $1,500,000 to remove its tracks from the Mall. "The new National Museum Developing, the Agriculture Division buildings, and the gallery for the Freer collections all have been located with reference in the basic plan. Gradually, but steadily, changes in conformity with that program are now becoming carried out throughout the whole 2½ miles from the Capitol Grounds to the Lincoln Memorial. The removal of the Botanic Garden is vital to the development of the excellent composition."
"If Congress desires to continue a garden for the purpose of acquiring flowers for its members and for increasing shrubs to disseminate all through the nation, each of these purposes can be subserved fairly as well by glass homes and gardens in other accessible places."
It was also felt that the new place would supply enlargement of the Capitol Grounds on the north which affords an region for gardens of great beauty and distinction "through which will pass all guests to Washington and a large proportion of those persons who every day go to the Capitol and Library of Congress." The old place was noticed as assessable to only "an insignificant fraction of guests or residents" and that the removal of the garden from the west side of the Capitol to the north side made the characteristics of the garden a lot more obtainable.
An exhaustive search was created of a number of places accessible for garden purposes and Mount Hamilton, a privately owned site, was chosen. The tract fronted the Anacostia River and carried a range of soils in such condition that "very little preparation for the makes use of of a botanic garden would be needed and really small grading other than that essential for roads."
The tract had north, south, east and west slopes and a level area on Hickey Road that would work well for greenhouses and herbaceous gardens, even though the other sloped regions would be perfect for shrub and small flowering-tree arboretum makes use of. The entire location contained about 400 acres (1.six km2) and would "afford an entrance to Washington of unequaled beauty."
In the future, it was felt that the garden could be expanded by "that portion of the park amongst the Pennsylvania Railroad and Benning Bridge consists of about 563 acres, lowland and water, therefore furnishing ample chance for expansion on land not subject to overflow for lowland and fresh-water exhibits."
The Commission of Fine Art produced recommendation that the Mount Hamilton tract be acquired for a national botanic garden and arboretum by buying 400 acres (1.6 km2) of land, at least 800 acres (three.2 km2) of Government-owned lands will be created offered. Also, a park entrance to the city from the north will be offered. Additionally, the public functions of the "present" Botanic Garden be transferred from the west side of the Capitol to the north side to lands already owned by the Government.
In 1933, the major creating was moved to its present location on the National Mall, just to the southwest of the Capitol, bordered by Maryland Avenue on the north, 1st Street on the east, Independence Avenue on the south, and Third Street on the west. The facility consists of a conservatory and 2 acres (8,one hundred m2) of outdoors grounds. Directly across Independence Avenue is Bartholdi Park, an outdoor display location, and an administration creating. Positioned on three acres (12,000 m2) west of the conservatory and opened to the public on October 1, 2006, the National Garden provides living laboratories for environmental, horticultural, and botanical education. The key attributes of the National Garden are the Rose Garden, the Butterfly Garden, the Lawn Terrace, the First Ladies’ Water Garden, the Regional Garden, and an outdoor amphitheater.
Plant production facility
A plant production facility in Anacostia, Washington, D.C., involves greenhouse bays and a assistance facility for the garden. The U.S. Botanic Garden Production Facility, covers 85,000 square feet (7,900 m2) beneath glass, and is the biggest support facility for a botanic garden in the United States. It houses collections at the moment not on display, including plants recuperating. Seasonal plants are also grown at the facility for use in the Supreme Court, Library of Congress and for replenishing the Capitol grounds. An estimated 100,000 mums, pansies, cabbage, kale and other annuals and perennials per year are grown in the facility. Furthermore, foliage plants for the Senate offices and palm trees for Capitol Hill events as nicely as specific seasonal displays such as Easter lilies and poinsettias are all grown on website. "According to employees botanists, there are about 50,000 plants on hand at the production facility at any one particular time.
Presently, the United States Botanic Garden is property to practically ten,000 living specimens, some of them over 165 years old.
The national monument was closed for renovations on September 1, 1997, and reopened to the public on December 11, 2001. At the time of closure for renovation, plants in the collection were placed in storage at the USBG Production Facility, retired to greenhouses in Florida, or composted.
The USBG suitable consists of 3 locations: the Conservatory, Bartholdi Park, and the Production Facility.
The historic Lord & Burnham greenhouse, built by the Architect of the Capitol in 1933, consists of eight garden rooms under glass, totaling 28,944 square feet (2,689. m2) of increasing space. In 2001, the Conservatory re-opened following a four-year renovation that essential it to be totally dismantled and rebuilt employing 21st century building standards. The Conservatory is divided into separate rooms, every single simulating a exclusive habitat:
* The Garden Court
* Plant Exploration
* Orchid House (orchids)
* Medicinal Plants (medicinal plants)
* Desert (desert species)
* Garden Primeval (primeval)
* Plant Adaptation
* Southern Exposure (courtyard),on the south side of the developing, is surrounded by glass walls, receiving far more warmth. It features a lot of plants from the Southeast and Southwest, which would not be able to reside in the colder District of Columbia climate if not for the microclimate
Except for the Hawaiian house, the galleries, and south lobby, none of the conservatory has air conditioning. Every area is closely monitored by a computer-operated sensors to sustain the atmosphere greatest suited to the plants in that space. Humidity, sunlight and temperature are regulated by indicates of a misting system, retractable shades and levered windows. All plants are watered day-to-day by hand. Construction was completed on the three-acre (12,000 m2) National Garden on the Botanic Garden’s west border, in October 2006 and the garden includes a regional garden of plants native to the Atlantic Coastal Plain and Piedmont, a rose garden, a butterfly garden, and the First Ladies Water Garden, a water garden in memory of the 1st Ladies of the United States.The National Garden construction was funded by the National Fund for the U.S. Botanic Garden which now exists as a ‘friends group’.
Bartholdi Park lies just south of the Conservatory, across Independence Avenue. It is named for the Bartholdi Fountain in the garden’s center designed by Frédéric Bartholdi. One particular of the goals of this garden is to offer inspiration and concepts for property gardeners who check out it. It displays a variety of modest structured and non-structured gardens, and infuses color, shape, and planting themes. One particular section of the garden is certified as a National Wildlife Federation Backyard Wildlife Habitat. The Park also houses the administrative developing for the United States Botanic Garden.
There are four plants in the garden that are believed to be directly associated to the original Wilkes Expedition.
* The Vessel Fern (Angiopteris evecta) situated in the Jungle, is a fern believed to be the direct progeny of the Vessel Fern brought back on Wilkes’ ship. Simply because of the lifespan of Vessel Ferns, it is highly unlikely that the present fern is the original nevertheless it is believed that the present fern is a direct descendant and genetically identical to the original.
* The Ferocious Blue Cycad (Encephalartos horridus) is a cycad questionably 1 of the original Wilkes plants. Due to its size and possible age, some think this plant to have come back with the expedition in 1842 regrettably, early records are incomplete and inaccurate, so this is left to speculation.
* The Queen Sagos Cycas circinalis, which are cycads, reside in the Garden Court. The Botanic Garden cares for each a male and a female of the species, and both have been brought back with the Wilkes Expedition.
* "A Botanic Garden for the Nation: the United States Botanic Garden". United States Botanic Garden, Washington, DC. www.usbg.gov/history/A-Botanic-Garden-for-the-Nation-The-…. Retrieved 2010-07-08.  Website consists of a hyperlink to download a free of charge electronic version of an illustrated 180 page book about the U.S. Botanic Garden (Botanic Garden for the Nation: the United States Botanic Garden. Publisher: Congress, Architect of the Capitol, United States Botanic Garden, 2007.)
* * * * *
Uploaded by Eye-Fi.
By Chris Devers on 2011-05-23 14:31:00